RegisterLog In

Obligation of an employee to pay for company trip after resignation

Estilomt
Wed, 02 Apr 2014 02:38:16 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 08:57:37 AM)

Hi,

I have resigned from my company with immediate effect last week, however, in February. I confirmed my attendance for a company trip to a foreign location in May. The term of the trip was, the company bears 60% of the whole cost for the trip and the employee bears the balance 40%. Since I confirmed my attendance in February, my former employer now demands that I pay the whole sum for the trip. My queries are as below :-

(a) Is the amount payable for the company trip is a debt owed to the company after my resignation?

(b) There is no contract signed upon confirmation of the company trip, am I still obliged to pay?

(c) The amount of cancelation penalty was not informed to the staffs beforehand, my former employer now seeks a hefty sum from me. Am I obliged to make this payment despite not knowing the amount which is ought be incurred upon cancelation?

(d) Doesn't my liability in respect of this trip cease upon tendering my resignation?

(e) Can my employer withhold my salary due to this reason?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you. 

KL Siew
Administrator
Thu, 03 Apr 2014 08:57:37 AM

1. For resigning with immediate effect with giving prior notice, the employer can claim indemnity in lieu of notice from you and also withhold your salary for that purpose.

2. For repayment of oversea cost, there is nothing to stop them from claiming from you if they want to. You can defend yourself when the time comes or get a lawyer to do it.

This topic is closed