RegisterLog In

Deduction of overpayment

Muffingurl
Wed, 08 Jan 2014 06:18:00 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:40:11 PM)

I have a contract as a promoter with a company 26th August until the 30th of September. In the contract term the payment was specified to be 3-4 weeks after timesheet was submitted. This would mean that my last payment would be on beginning of November after 4 weeks of my timesheet being submitted.

The payment was done in installment beginning from the first wage in October for my August remuneration. However, my last remuneration was on December 15, which was very overdue and incongruent with the contract term. 

I received an e-mail today informing me of the overpayment of my salary and a request to return the wages before they threaten to take legal action on me. 

My concern is 

1. Am i legally obligated to pay back the extra?

2. The payment was supposed to be due on November but was delayed until mid-December.

3. What kind of legal action can be taken against me for not returning the wages? 

4. Is it legal for them to withhold my wages due for in November until December?

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:40:11 PM

Well, if you think that there was unlawful deductions from your salary, what you do is to bring the matter up with the Labour Department and let them look into the matter.

This topic is closed