RegisterLog In

Retirement Age - New Act

Sharon Goh
Tue, 02 Oct 2012 05:03:37 PM  (Last updated: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 08:00:44 PM)

Can I ask when the Retirement Age Act 2012 will come into effect that states retirement age extended to 60 years?

I am in a dilemma now ... I touched 55 yrs in October and my current employer wants me to sign a contract employment for yearly renewal due to my age now.  Can they do this knowing the retirement age has been extended to 60 yrs.  They need me to sign the contract before end October.

Pls advise urgently.

Thank you very much.

KL Siew
Administrator
Tue, 02 Oct 2012 08:00:44 PM

I understand the Act is going to come into force from 2013.

Consider it this way: is your employer paying any compensation or benefits for your past years of service? It yes and you are happy with the amount, then you may give some thought of signing the yearly contract. Secondly, if there is a retirement clause in the contract of service/appointment letter and your employer wants to retire you based on that, then I agree you are in a dilema. If there is no retirement clause in the current contract of service/appointment letter, better don't sign the annual renewable contract without first consult the Labour Department for advice. Anyway, go personally to the local Labour Department and discuss your problem with them. Official opinions are better.

This topic is closed