RegisterLog In

INQUIRY INTO DISAGREEMENT

Shreenina K
Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:49:18 PM  (Last updated: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:46:38 PM)

Dear Mr Siew,

I apologise in advance for my detailed post.  Quite frankly I'm in a sticky situation.  

a. I work for an organisation that has many principals/business partners.  One of these principals is an extremely close friend of my boss. 

b. Principal S has a very lucrative side-business selling food, jewellery, 2ndhand designer bags etc. in the office and does it very openly.  Where there is seller, there are always buyers.  I introduced someone to buy one of her 2nd hand bags at RM800.00 in January 2012 on a n installment basis. 1st payment was RM100 cash till April 2012, I would get the money and bank it via Maybank2u to Principal S.  What happened was that I miscalculated the last payment and OVERPAID. Yes overpaid by RM300, suffice to say I have proof but Principal S denies and refuses refund stating that in business there are no refunds.  

c. Situation turned very sour as money came out of my own pocket.  We stopped speaking to each other since then, I wholeheartedly admit  that I handled situation very badly as anger, dissatisfaction has been brewing in my heart.  Last friday, I burst out to Principal S, we had an exchange of words but NO shouting, screaming or foul language exchanged.  However it was on company's premises and my boss pretended not to witness it.  

d. Principal S has lodged a complaint on the very same day with Human Resources, complaint emailed to my boss and cc to HR Manager. My boss already told me earlier that she does not want to be involved and prefers HR to handle it.  On Monday, HR Manager sent email to my boss asking to 'deal' with me.  Also does not want to be involved. 

e. My boss was on leave on Monday, but this morning Principal S's partner reminded my boss asking what action will be taken. My boss was mad and promptly fired HR saying that this is their responsibility.  My guess is because Principal S is her friend, she is taking a back seat. 

f. I know I'm at fault as the argument should not have taken place on company premises. Also as a mature employee I should no better than indulge in buying and selling other things beside products of the company.  I've drafted an apology letter addresses to my boss, HR Manager and company only as well as stating that this is a personal matter between Principal S and myself.  Is my action correct?  What can they do to me?  Should I also include Voluntary Suspension of Duties to show sincerity?  I have very good track record of work, no complaints regarding my work.  I'm afraid this stupidity on my part is going to harm me.

Please advice.

Desperately seeking NK

KL Siew
Administrator
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:13:35 AM

To me, your action is correct and if there is no misconduct in your part and your tiff with S has not caused any damage to your company's business, I also think your boss, your HR should also be satified witht your action. Meanwhile, better try to put the issue with S to rest, 300 bucks is not a big loss.

Shreenina K
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:46:37 PM
Originally posted by Shreenina K on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:46:38 PM

Dear Mr Siew,

I apologise in advance for my detailed post.  Quite frankly I'm in a sticky situation.  

a. I work for an organisation that has many principals/business partners.  One of these principals is an extremely close friend of my boss. 

b. Principal S has a very lucrative side-business selling food, jewellery, 2ndhand designer bags etc. in the office and does it very openly.  Where there is seller, there are always buyers.  I introduced someone to buy one of her 2nd hand bags at RM800.00 in January 2012 on a n installment basis. 1st payment was RM100 cash till April 2012, I would get the money and bank it via Maybank2u to Principal S.  What happened was that I miscalculated the last payment and OVERPAID. Yes overpaid by RM300, suffice to say I have proof but Principal S denies and refuses refund stating that in business there are no refunds.  

c. Situation turned very sour as money came out of my own pocket.  We stopped speaking to each other since then, I wholeheartedly admit  that I handled situation very badly as anger, dissatisfaction has been brewing in my heart.  Last friday, I burst out to Principal S, we had an exchange of words but NO shouting, screaming or foul language exchanged.  However it was on company's premises and my boss pretended not to witness it.  

d. Principal S has lodged a complaint on the very same day with Human Resources, complaint emailed to my boss and cc to HR Manager. My boss already told me earlier that she does not want to be involved and prefers HR to handle it.  On Monday, HR Manager sent email to my boss asking to 'deal' with me.  Also does not want to be involved. 

e. My boss was on leave on Monday, but this morning Principal S's partner reminded my boss asking what action will be taken. My boss was mad and promptly fired HR saying that this is their responsibility.  My guess is because Principal S is her friend, she is taking a back seat. 

f. I know I'm at fault as the argument should not have taken place on company premises. Also as a mature employee I should no better than indulge in buying and selling other things beside products of the company.  I've drafted an apology letter addresses to my boss, HR Manager and company only as well as stating that this is a personal matter between Principal S and myself.  Is my action correct?  What can they do to me?  Should I also include Voluntary Suspension of Duties to show sincerity?  I have very good track record of work, no complaints regarding my work.  I'm afraid this stupidity on my part is going to harm me.

Please advice.

Desperately seeking NK

Dear Mr Siew,

Thank you for your kind reply.  Just an update,  

1. I submitted my apology letter minus the voluntary suspension but stating that I submit myself to  

company's further action.

2. As noted, HR wanted no part in this mess and insisted my boss step in.  Reluctantly my boss had a meeting with me and demanded the full story and request that I show proof.  I did and my boss opted to call S privately.  Of course S being her friend so some sort of story was cooked up.  S now claims that she is unaware of the overpayment and will check her account.  

3. I regret to say that my boss is far from pleased and I fear there will be repercussions from both my both my boss and S.

4. How do I deal with this?

THANK YOU.

NK

This topic is closed