RegisterLog In

Unpaid leave proof

Jasmin Loh
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:47:59 PM  (Last updated: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 02:50:49 PM)

Hi there,

I am new in this company so I do not have annual leave. I have applied for a half-day unpaid leave for tomorrow, and i clearly mentioned that I need to go to my university to settle some loan issues. 

My superior has asked for "proof" that I have been there. in the form of receipt or waiting number, something to proof that i am there. I feel so not being trusted. First of all, is there any law stated that I HAVE TO provide proof? i am not to make payment, so I wont have receipt, there is no "waiting number" there at the university, i am just to go and submit some forms.. what kind of proof can I give? take photo? Is it neccessary to provide that proof? 

Do we have to "provide proof" for what we do during our unpaid leave? I need to take another day off mid of next month as it is my father's death anniversary. So I have to "proof" that I am there visiting my father's grave? 

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:20:58 AM

Some companies are quite strict about staff taking no pay leave. They don't want staff to take no pay leave as and when they like with all sort of excuses, true or otherwise. Consult your HR and get more info about their no pay leave policy.  Knowing the policy you may feel better.

Jasmin Loh
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 01:45:41 PM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:20:58 AM

Some companies are quite strict about staff taking no pay leave. They don't want staff to take no pay leave as and when they like with all sort of excuses, true or otherwise. Consult your HR and get more info about their no pay leave policy.  Knowing the policy you may feel better.

there is no HR here. I am reporting directly to the owner, which is a 24 yrs old girl's newly set up company. 

Also, I have went to settle my things this morning, gotten "proofs" for my where about. Now she came questioning me about y do i come back late. 

my working hour is 9 - 6. if i take half day leave shouldn't it be 4.5 hrs? means need to be back by 1.30pm? and as lunch time is 1pm till 2, isn't it reasonable that 1.30pm is still lunch and my work hour starts at 2?

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 02:38:08 PM

Well, just let the matter rest, that's all.

Jasmin Loh
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 02:50:49 PM
Originally posted by KL Siew on Fri, 30 Sep 2011 02:38:08 PM

Well, just let the matter rest, that's all.

I would if I could but they are now using this to prolong my probation period. I have performed well, hitting monthly target consistantly. I am supposed to be confirmed on October. Which is tomorrow. I am not happy that just due to this small matter on the last day of my probation, my probation period need to be prolonged for another 3 months, and i am not entitled to the permanent staff benefits.

I am reading through labour law and also employment act but there is no exact answer as to how to divide the working hours isn't it?

This topic is closed