RegisterLog In

Compensation leave for company retreat that falls on public holiday

Personal Assistant
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:02:13 AM  (Last updated: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 03:25:46 PM)

Hi,

My company is organizing a company retreat on 11/12/11 - 14/12/11 which coincides with Sultan of Selangor's birthday (11/12/11 - Sunday) in which the public holiday is carried forward to 12/12/11 - Monday. According to my company's policies, all staffs are supposed to apply for annual leave in order to attend this company retreat but the company has decided for this upcoming trip, there will be no deduction from our annual leave (in the first place, can the company even deduct our annual leave for such trips?).

However, it is compulsory for all staffs to attend this trip which happens to falls on a Sunday and a public holiday (the following day), so I would like to find out if we are entitled to claim back this 2 days of leave? The main purpose of this trip is teambuilding therefore are there any laws that make it compulsory for staffs to attend such activities and not receive compensation leave for this situation? 

Thanks.

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 02:26:24 PM

For such an occasion, I think every employee should give full support to the company where you earn your bread and butter. Never mind about the law. Don't try to avoid attending, otherwise you may run the risk of not getting your bonus at the end of the year. 

Personal Assistant
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 02:45:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. However, I'm coming from the Management's point of view and we're currently facing this situation as the staffs are requesting for leave compensation and are very reluctant to attend this trip unless compensated. The Management however feels it's unnecessary to compensate as the company is providing a paid holiday for its staffs already. Please advice how we can approach and solve this issue to accommodate to all parties.

KL Siew
Administrator
Fri, 26 Aug 2011 03:25:46 PM

Well, that will depend how "persuasive" you are. All company functions will fail if the staff are allowed to set conditions for attending. Just tell them it is compulsory and there will be marking of attendance. But of course, the trip must worthwhile of their attending and of certain standard. Get the top management involved, let the MD give the directives.

This topic is closed